Functional Skills English
Functional English provides the basis for effective communication and understanding across the three subject skill areas; speaking and listening, reading and writing. Functional Skills qualifications are taught from Entry Level up to Level 2.
The courses are delivered by experienced tutors in an informal adult focused setting.
There are no formal entry requirements to access this course.
All prospective learners will need to complete an initial assessment. The assessment will give us an indication of your current level and learning needs. This will ensure that you are enrolled onto the correct level of Functional Skills. On completion we will either offer you a place on the course or discuss your options.
Students must be aged 19+.
Who is the course aimed at?
This course is ideal for anyone looking to improve their everyday English skills or to gain a Functional Skills qualification.
What will I study?
Gaining this qualification will improve your competence in:
- Writing documents on complex subjects (by hand and electronically)
- Communicating (both individually and within a group)
- Understanding and following written instructions
- Accurate grammar, spelling and punctuation so that meaning is clear
- Formal letter writing
- Writing an email
- Reading and summarising information succinctly from different sources
- Creating effective presentations in different contexts
How will I be assessed?
At the start of the course you will be assessed to find out what you need to learn. You will then agree an individual learning plan appropriate to your situation and needs. You will be assessed informally throughout the course to check on your progress.
Qualifications are obtained by completing:
- A reading and writing assessment
- A speaking and listening assessment
- An individual presentation
2 hours per week for approximately 38 weeks
Gaining Functional English will help you in any future course of study that you may be considering. For individuals wishing to move into Higher Education, Level 2 is accepted for entry to a range of courses (check with the course providers for information on specific courses).
Employers consider Functional Skills to be essential in the workplace so achievement of a qualification will give you an advantage in the job market.